How can we know the dancer from the dance?
‘Knowing the Dance’ is a yearlong project exploring the meeting place between movement/dance and poetry and is supported by the Arts Council of Northern Ireland’s Artist Career Enhancement Scheme (ACES) and Down Arts Centre.
The Project has four main elements
- Masterclass with Sarah Warsop investigating how her work creating a middle place between choreography and other artforms, principally contemporary jewellery design, could be used to work across to where poetry and movement meet (January ’17)
- A dance/poetry collaboration with dancer/choreographer/researcher Paula Guzzanti trialling different ways that poetry and movement/dance can connect with each other. The making is in progress since December ’16, with a performance date of 9 September, 7pm, at Down Arts Centre, Downpatrick.
- Development of my own practice as a writer, creating innovative, sturdy practice around the issue of movement in poetry what is already an artistic signature. See ‘The Clock Repairer’s Companion: Thirty Tristichs’ – for a creative working out of my considerations of the moving parts of poetry generally, and my own writing also.
- A body of poems, reflective of this work on knowing the dance within the word-on-the-page world, provisionally titled ‘Walking by Water’ – in progress.
- A mechanism to communicate the techniques and learnings of the project, particularly through the medium of writers workshop, to be piloted with Words for Castle Ward.
I will be documenting the different aspects of the project, through the lettersforladyn blog. If you would like to enquire further about any aspect of the project, do contact me at email@example.com